"To be overcome by the fragrance of flowers is a delectable form of defeat."~Beverly Nichols

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Upon digging around in my garden this morning, I was greeted with a surprise. Bending over to pick out a weed I noticed what looked like a small apple...it was of course hanging from my japanese quince bush. It is the only one on the whole bush and I'm sure this is a first. So because there is only one, I'm guessing making jelly is out... we'll just let it sit there, get ripe and enjoy the fact that the bush did in fact bear fruit even if only one!
 Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my neighbor has a quince shrub that grows through our common fence, i love the colour of the flower in the spring. she doesn't harvest her fruit, i think she bought it mainly for the spring flowers.

Philosophical Karen said...

You will probably get more fruit as the years progress. We just removed our flowering quince bushes, but they had at least a dozen fruit between them last fall. I didn't like the colour of the spring flowers on mine (which was not Japanese quince, admittedly, but flowering quince). The flowers were bright red, concentrated at the base of the plant, and bloomed at the same time as all my purple and white tulips. I'll miss the fruit, but not the flowers; and now I have more space in that part of the garden.

So, are you going to try eating it?

mrsnesbitt said...

Hello, came by your blog via Sigruns garden, so another nice blogger's garden! Lovely!